Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pinterest Project: Crocheted Yoda Hat Tutorial

My most recent crochet challenge was a Yoda hat for the one-year old son of a friend. I found a picture of a Yoda hat on Pinterest to use as a model. My friend approved of the picture, and I got to work.

My Pinterest inspiration
The basic hat form was quick and simple. The ears were another story. How was I going to get these trademark ears to stick out so that people could tell that it's Yoda?


Pinterest saved the day again! I remembered recently posting a picture on my "yarn yarn yarn" board that I thought was really clever. Someone shared a photo showing how they got crocheted bunny ears to stand up: pipe cleaners!

Crochet pipe cleaners along the edge of the ears! Genius!
I had to try the idea on my Yoda ears.


I started by tying the corners of my ears to the pipe cleaner to anchor them down.


Then I crocheted the edge of the ears, making sure to cover the pipe cleaner completely.


Next, I wound the ends of the pipe cleaners together to create a strong base. This is the side I would attach to the hat.

Completed Yoda ear!
I attached the ears last night. Jadon had no idea that he would become a model this morning! It looks big on him, but it is for a kid who's more than one year older, after all.

"When two months old you reach, look as good, you will not, hmmm?"


No comments:

Post a Comment